Group C Touring Car Association  

Go Back   Group C Touring Car Association > Administration > General Discussion

Notices

Old 03-02-2012, 02:57 PM

Default Replica Group C Cars

There is currently a very active group on facebook, who are trying to get a replica Group C category underway, much the same as the replica cars from New Zealand. They have expressed interest in perhaps having a support category for these replica's (Remember MSM 2009) in future historic events. They are not looking to compete with the Original cars.

I have had many discussions with the boys who are trying to get this started, and have been asked to post this info in here to gauge support for a category of this type.

I personally think it's a great idea, as the NZ cars were very popular at MSM in 2009. They also bring a variety of cars that are not around anymore, back to the racing community.

WHat does everyone else think about this as something to go to CAMS with?
Old 04-02-2012, 08:46 AM

I really like looking at all the replicas at meetings like Muscle Car Masters but I doubt that you will get much support from this forum to have an historic replica racing category.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:47 PM

They will never get a run at historic events as none of them will have a C of D which is a pre-requisit to compete.

The NZ cars got a run as an invited catagory at MCM 3 years ago, similar to sports sedans last year and are possibly coming back in the future, but the reality is that replica's are destined to sport sedans or improved production
Old 04-02-2012, 10:07 PM

Here's a graphic reminder of why replicas and genuine cars should never be mixed.

Watch the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKUxN...ature=youtu.be

Which car is the replica?

Which car had never had accident damage before in ALL of it's competition history?
Old 04-02-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
They will never get a run at historic events as none of them will have a C of D which is a pre-requisit to compete.

The NZ cars got a run as an invited catagory at MCM 3 years ago, similar to sports sedans last year and are possibly coming back in the future, but the reality is that replica's are destined to sport sedans or improved production
I don't think CAMS will be interested in a quasi historic category when either Sports Sedans or Improved Production grids (depending on the level of modification) are the logical place for these sorts of cars.

Historic meetings are promoted and run under different permit structures to other meetings, and cars from outside the 5th category (Historics) are generally excluded. Muscle Car Masters is not a Historic race meeting and is promoted on a very commercial basis (ie to make a profit) unlike Historic meetings.

The NZ touring cars are NOT replica Group C cars. They are highly modified race cars using contemporary technologies housed in "old" bodies. Very much like Sports Sedans, and even way more modified than the Touring Car Masters.

Like Carey says, I dont think your idea will get support here.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYDR30 View Post
........They also bring a variety of cars that are not around anymore, back to the racing community.
Lots of these cars/models currently race in Historic Group N
Old 04-02-2012, 10:57 PM

With AASA tracks such as Winton, Wakefield, Qld Raceway and Lakeside, and if CAMS keeps putting difficulties in the way of new tracks coming on line, ie Ringwood at Raymond Terrace, or Wagga ( they are keen, give them that, they could end up as AASA licensed tracks, then plenty of opportunity for replica's to play, without the need for a CoD and a logbook.

So the gist of it is, a car that complies with the 5th category requirements, and has a CAMS CoD, and either a Historic logbook, or issued permit to compete, is more than welcome at a proper Historic CAMS permit issued race meeting, yes?

Tell me why the Group U cars are so vehemently treated then, they comply, and it's your CAMS historic commission that jas, on the vehicle compatability matrix, ie "best fit" within events for C, A, and U.
Just like the combinations in other classes, ie JK&L, or M O Q & R.
There will be a "winner"in each of the categories in any event.
Or are some events more "important" than others.

Dilemma, do the C&A fields accept fakes, or true historic cars, as per CAMS suggestions. Seems to work fine in other categories.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat2kman View Post

Dilemma, do the C&A fields accept fakes, or true historic cars, as per CAMS suggestions. Seems to work fine in other categories.
I have to say, I don't care what other categories and sanctioning authorities accept, I don't want replicas in a genuine field. I also don't want Group U Sports Sedans in the field either.
It's not snobbery, it's just a two fold reason. 1, $$$ I've spent many $$ on my cars and to have a painted up ex grocery grabber hit one of my cars could cause significant loss of invested $$, genuine cars can never be replaced! I know there are some very good replicas out there, Bill and I have just raced against some very nice ones in NZ, but if things go wrong they can just go and build another one. 2, preservation of history. Genuine is genuine!! It's hard enough to get the genuine owners to not misrepresent their cars, let's not throw in a bunch of replicas too.
I guess from my point of view, having cigarette company sponsored cars would exclude me from seeing any replicas of my cars racing.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:56 PM

< Edited due to post being reported >

Last edited by Admin; 07-02-2012 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Inappropriate comment
Old 06-02-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat2kman View Post
With AASA tracks such as Winton, Wakefield, Qld Raceway and Lakeside, and if CAMS keeps putting difficulties in the way of new tracks coming on line, ie Ringwood at Raymond Terrace, or Wagga ( they are keen, give them that, they could end up as AASA licensed tracks, then plenty of opportunity for replica's to play, without the need for a CoD and a logbook.

So the gist of it is, a car that complies with the 5th category requirements, and has a CAMS CoD, and either a Historic logbook, or issued permit to compete, is more than welcome at a proper Historic CAMS permit issued race meeting, yes?

Tell me why the Group U cars are so vehemently treated then, they comply, and it's your CAMS historic commission that jas, on the vehicle compatability matrix, ie "best fit" within events for C, A, and U.
Just like the combinations in other classes, ie JK&L, or M O Q & R.
There will be a "winner"in each of the categories in any event.
Or are some events more "important" than others.

we have a Queensland V8 series starting at lakeside this month thanks to Queensland Raceway and AASA for cars that dont fit into any CAMs Groups